Monday, July 26, 2010

Trying some new techniques.


This is a piece I did as a birthday present for my mother. I tried a few new techniques with this one that I hadn't before.

I watered down some of my black paint to do some watercolor-esque shadowing on her arms and face, as well as using the same watered down black to do a wash effect on her dress.

I am pleased how the wash on her dress suggests a shagginess, (your typical flapper style) without me having to actually go into that sort of detail.
I feel like if I had, it would take away from her face. She is a powerful woman, and the focus of the piece is such that your eyes go first to her face, then following down the trail of her beads, letting you see her pose and sensuality, and then your gaze is drawn right back up to her sexy pout. A highly detailed dress would take away from that and clutter the piece, I think.

And the quote I chose for some girl power for my mama, hehe.
This was a fun one.
Took about an hour and a half on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment